Delhi, capital city of India has earned the unbelievable distinction of getting the spot in 10 most polluted city in the world. Air quality has reached epically in bad proportions and we are waking up in a blanket of smog with air quality touching hazardous levels. The air quality index was very severe with high particulate matter at a 2.5 level at many places. Air pollution poses a major health risk and can cause stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, and chronic and acute respiratory diseases.
Smog that is most often seen in Delhi now usually comes from vehicular emissions from internal combustion engines and industrial fumes that react in the atmosphere with sunlight to form secondary pollutants that combines with primary emissions to form photochemical smog. Let us see what can be harmful causes of smog and what precautions can be taken to protect yourself from Smog.
Harmful effects of smog
1. It can lead to the onset of allergies or aggravate existing allergies and decrease lung immunity.
2. It can decrease lung function across age groups.
3. It might aggravate pre-existing lung and cardiac functions along with uncontrollable or chronic coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
Preventive measures that can be taken
1. Masks are the most preventive measure at this high time. Wear mask whenever you leave for office, college, school.
2. Avoid outside physical activities like jogging and cycling, try to do workout in indoors to remain fit.
3. Consume fruits rich in vitamin C, magnesium and foods rich in Omega fatty acids.
4. Green tea can be very effective to purify the internal toxic substances. Drink Herbal tea to protect yourself from harsh environment.
From the above you can take preventive measures to protect yourself from harmful effects of smog.